The Urban Farmer's Market

What better time is there to reflect than as I open a new chapter in my life. Soon I will live in the tranquil, luscious state of Vermont, but in the meantime, my summer was spent on sweaty commutes on the NYC subway. I worked for ten weeks at an urban planning firm right next to Union Square, an epicenter of NYC. I seriously relished in the opportunity to be back in my hometown, returning to my old favorite places and exploring new corners of the city. Yet as happy as I was in my old stomping grounds, I found a big part of me missing the place I've called home for the past four years. While much of this homesickness stems from missing the friends who became family, and living on a college campus, I also deeply missed Ithaca itself. Living in a more rural part of New York State I was able to explore the outdoors at any time (while I do have Central Park, Riverside Park and other small pocket parks around me, its simply not the same as a massive gorge or park next to Cayuga Lake), as well as live a more local lifestyle. 

Living locally is something that I really learned more about in college. Growing up in NYC, living locally simply does not seem possible. Everything is packaged, shipped and imported. While at school, I learned about the value of sourcing my groceries and other items from local producers. Not only do you support businesses in your neighborhood by doing so, but you also reduce your footprint on the environment. (In an effort to not ramble about buying local, check out this great article to learn more about the benefits of locally sourcing your food and other needs).

I loved exploring the world of eating locally. I participated in farm shares through which I received a box of veggies every week, and went to the farmers market at least once in a week in the fall where I would pick up local meat, fresh baked bread, and other foods I was craving. My weekly farm share became an opportunity to learn to cook recipes I had never tried, including various stews and making my own homemade butternut squash soup! (which I didn't stop talking about for at least a month because it was so good). By eating local, I was saving money, exploring my taste buds, and reducing my impact on the world around me. 

In NYC however, while exploring your taste buds may be easy, doing so locally and on a budget, and without much environmental impact, seems like a pipe dream. on my first day of work I accidentally spent $18 dollars on a salad! But after vowing to pack a lunch for the rest of the summer (I did not keep my vow), a co-worker let me in on a (not-so-secret) secret - there was a massive farmers market 3 days a week in Union Square! 



Throughout the summer I found myself wandering through the farmers market (which pops up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) usually feasting on tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch. 



Not only was the Union Square Farmer's Market a haven for people trying to find more local, sustainable food options, but also it was a great place to people, and more importantly, dog watch! Though many a farmer's market awaits me in Vermont, I will certainly miss little peace of Ithaca set in the skyscraper landscape. 


Comments

Popular Posts